Project Engineer - Instrument and Controls
Company: ESPO Corporation
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Title: Project Engineer - -Instrument and Controls
Location: Naperville, IL
Duration: Permanent Hire
The Project Engineer Instrument and Controls (PE-IC) is responsible
for controls design and instrumentation application associated with
projects. Must be knowledgeable of PLC and DCS technology platforms
and their applications, and have the ability to generate or review
and approve project documentation such as functional descriptions,
panel layout drawings, logic drawings, controls lists (BOM, I/O,
Alarm and Setpoint Lists) as well as complete Factory Acceptance
Testing (FAT) in vendor locations or in the commissioning phase of
projects in the field. The PE-IC will have the ability to design
control device hardware and software (flow, pressure, temperature,
motor drives, and control valves). The PE-IC will be expected to
maintain timeliness, accuracy and thoroughness throughout the
project lifecycle. The individual will be assigned projects and
will likely participate in more than one project at a time. The
PE-IC will work closely with vendors, consultants, clients and
project leadership in providing control solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform I/C project duties and support projects as
- Perform component selection and logic sequence design
- Interface with Controls suppliers, vendors, consultants and
- Review I/C information / drawings from sub-contractors
- Write Functional Description, Sequences of Operation, Equipment
Manuals, System Descriptions, and design criteria for I/C
- Assist with the establishment of control methodology and
strategy based upon discussions with Project and Process
- Create Various I/C drawings including SAMA Diagrams (both
analog and digital), electrical drawings, and one-line
- Create Operator Screen designs
- Establish Safety System criteria for I/C design
- Participate in sub-contractor shop testing (FAT), FTI shop
equipment testing and FTI project start-up
- Maintain communication channels with Rockwell Software, Revere
Electric and other I/C OEM companies.
- Keep current on I/C industry development, especially PLC
technology, capabilities and pricing
- Keep Sub-contractors informed on FTI project schedule
requirements to ensure on-time delivery of components and
- Maintain proper electrical and I/C record keeping and storage
(cut sheets, design documents, drawings)
- Be available to help field personnel troubleshoot day-to-day
field electrical and I/C issues
- Knowledgeable in both ISA and KKS tagging platforms and capable
of generating such tagging schemes based on client
- Working knowledge of eWON or other remote networking
This position does not directly supervise other employees and is
based on self-direction.
Technical Skills Required:
- Programming Allen-Bradley PLC products. Emphasis on Control
Logix family (Control Logix and Compact Logix) and some
understanding of SLC 500, MicroLogix.
- Allen-Bradley PanelView and PanelView Plus Products
- Allen-Bradley Factorytalk View Products (ME and SE)
- Other platform knowledge are welcome and will be
- Instrumentation and device set-up (flow, pressure, temperature,
and control valves), loop checks and trouble-shooting.
- Creation, review and modification of SAMA drawings
- Programming Operator Interface Computers using FactoryTalk View
SE or RSView 32
- KKS & ISA tagging generation/knowledge
Technical Skills Strongly Desired:
- Working understanding of Distributed Control Systems
- Prior Exposure to ABB Bailey, Westinghouse, Emerson, Invensys,
and Honeywell Control Systems
- Motor Control Center (MCC) design experience
- AC drive selection and programming experience
- Experience with other PLC's including Modicon, Delta V, GE, and
This position requires travel (minimum of 25%) both domestically
and internationally and may require extended periods of two weeks
or more in the field.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. in Engineering (Electrical strongly preferred)
- 3-5 years of experience as a Project Engineer with instrument
and controls emphasis (or demonstrate equivalent experience)
Analytical - Synthesizes information; Collects and researches data;
Applies workflows, checklists, work instructions and procedures.
Ability to prioritize and solve practical problems and apply good
engineering judgement during the life of a project. Work in in
office or site conditions where there may be limited or ambiguous
guidance available on solving technical control issues.
Communication Skills - Speaks and writes clearly and can articulate
a controls issue with clarity. Is able to understand verbal and
written instruction. Is able to be effective while working under
tight deadlines or situations where individual performance is
critical to project success. Keeps management aware of higher level
issues and understands the importance of timely communications.
Design Follows standards and instructions and is able to generates
creative solutions. Applies solid documentation and organization to
design deliverables. Maintains keen awareness to detail. Maintains
understanding and application of current design codes.
Problem Solving - Gathers and analyzes key information to identify
and resolve problems in a timely manner.
Excellence and Quality Management Demonstrates accuracy and
thoroughness. Specific computer or testing skills may be required
for specific assignments. Must have experience with industry design
standards and codes.
Judgment Displays good engineering judgment and decision-making
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities without
daily supervision. Plans for additional resources; organizes or
schedules other people and their tasks.
Willowbrook, IL 60527
View all open jobs at:
Leaders in Technical Recruiting & Staffing since 1965
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of
diversity in our work force . -
Keywords: ESPO Corporation, Naperville , Project Engineer - Instrument and Controls, Engineering , Naperville, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!