Inside Property Claim Representative
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: May 17, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$49,800.00 - $82,200.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Under moderate supervision, this position is responsible for the
handling of first party property claims including: investigating,
evaluating, estimating and negotiating to ensure optimal claim
resolution for personal or business property claims of moderate
severity and complexity. Claims may also involve low severity
building damage with some personal property and business personal
property related to a wide variety of causes of loss. Claims can
involve higher exposure depending on loss type and nature of the
damaged property. Provides quality claim handling throughout the
claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation,
evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including
maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality
standards and state specific regulations. As part of the hiring
process, this position requires the completion of an online
pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the
assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be
provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
support flexibility. Employees in this position are part of a
training or development program that may require up to a six-month
waiting period before they are eligible for the hybrid model.
During the initial six-month training program, employees may be
required to work up to five days in the office.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Handles 1st party property claims of moderate severity and
complexity as assigned.
- Establishes accurate scope of damages for building and contents
losses and utilizes as a basis for written estimates and/or
computer assisted estimates.
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine
coverage (including but not limited to analyzing leases, contracts,
by-laws and other relevant documents which may have an impact),
damages, business interruption calculations and liability of first
party property claims under a variety of policies. Secures recorded
or written statements as appropriate.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent
judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate,
estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor
estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits
and deductibles and work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Negotiates and conveys claim settlements within authority
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through
proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations in accordance with
the Knowledge Guides.
- Maintains diary system, capturing all required data and
documents claim file activities in accordance with established
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the
insured, agent and all other internal and external
- Recognizes when to refer claims to Travelers Special
Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Identifies and refers claims with Major Case Unit exposure to
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts,
time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Provides multi-line assistance in response to workforce
management needs; including but not limited to claim handling for
Auto, Workers Compensation, General Liability and other areas of
the business as needed.
- May provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced claim
- May attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials,
trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Must secure and maintain company credit card required.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job,
acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required
to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally,
license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job
and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of one year previous inside property claim handling
experience or successful completion of Travelers Inside Claim
Representative training program required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors Degree preferred.
- 2+ years previous inside property claim handling experience
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Interpersonal and customer service skills - Advanced
- Organizational and time management skills - Intermediate
- Ability to work independently - Intermediate
- Judgment, analytical and decision making skills -
- Negotiation skills- Intermediate
- Written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
including the ability to convey and receive information effectively
- Investigative skills - Intermediate
- Ability to analyze and determine coverage - Intermediate
- Analyze, and evaluate damages - Intermediate
- Resolve claims within settlement authority - Intermediate
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
- Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Naperville , Inside Property Claim Representative, Other , Naperville, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!