Inside Auto Appraiser
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: June 17, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$56,300.00 - $92,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Under direct supervision, this position has responsibility for
reviewing estimates, negotiating, and evaluating 1st and 3rd party
auto physical damage claims, including both personal and business
insurance claims. The claim types will be predominately basic and
some moderate physical damage coverages as it relates to damage
assessment. This includes collision, property damage related to
autos, rental and towing and some comprehensive; typically excludes
fire, theft, flood, lightning, diminished value claims and any
claims that involve injuries. The actual resolution and settlement
of these claims will be the responsibility of the Auto Claim
Professional. This position also has responsibility for complete
claim handling (i.e. first notice of loss through
resolution/settlement and payment process) on claims that meet
specific criteria as defined by Auto Product guidelines. This
subset of claims makes up approximately 15-20% of the total
workload volume. This position will serve as a technical resource
for inside auto claim staff and will provide advice and direction
to claim professionals on claim damages to achieve optimal
outcomes. This job does not lead others. As part of the hiring
process, this position requires the completion of an online
pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the
assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be
provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
support flexibility. #LI-Hybrid
What Will You Do?
- Delivers consistent service quality throughout the claim life
cycle, including but not limited to prompt contact, explaining the
process, setting expectations, on-going effective communication,
and follow- through and meeting commitments to achieve optimal
outcome on every file.
- Reviews physical damage documents for appropriateness and any
loss economic opportunities.
- Negotiates with repair facilities on revisions to physical
- Prepares and documents accurate vehicle / equipment damage
appraisals, Actual Cash and Replacement values according to
applicable regulatory and corporate guidelines.
- Electronically audits vehicle estimates utilizing technical
expertise and information gathered to accurately determine physical
damage claim value using company recognized resources, estimating
and evaluation software.
- Partners with the assigned Claim Professional throughout the
life of the claim. Partners from initial investigation through
final recovery to ensure appropriate claim resolution and pursuit
of alternative recovery sources (e.g. Subrogation, SIU, etc.).
- Effectively manages work assignments and track financial
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job,
acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required
to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally,
license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job
and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- This position will require participation in our Catastrophe
Response Program which could include deployment away for a minimum
of 16 days which includes 2 travel days to assist our customers in
- This position may be required to perform the duties of an
Outside Field Appraiser within an assigned outside territory on a
temporary basis, as needed. This includes driving to perform
physical vehicle inspections.
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Prior experience with insurance carrier a plus.
- Strong technical background including extensive knowledge of
auto repair and repair techniques, including thorough understanding
of auto terminology and construction.
- Valid Driver's License
- Thorough knowledge of claims appraisal systems and overall
claim operations, Windows proficiency, including Excel and
- Strong mathematical and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response
to all assigned tasks.
- Strong teamwork skills
- Ability to remain current on jurisdictional laws and
regulations, and communicating compliance requirements to other
claim staff as appropriate.
- Commitment to continuous education.
- Competency Levels:
- Basic Analytical Thinking
- Basic Judgment/Decision Making
- Basic Communication
- Intermediate Negotiation
- Basic Insurance Contract Knowledge
- Basic Principles of Investigation
- Basic Value Determination
- Basic Settlement Techniques
- Intermediate Auto Technical
What is a Must Have?
- High School Degree or GED required.
- A minimum of one year experience estimating auto damage
required or successful completion of the Appraiser trainee
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Naperville , Inside Auto Appraiser, Other , Naperville, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!